High Holidays 2014/5775
When you join us this year for High Holy Days services, we hope that you will be inspired by our liturgy, music and sermons. Our services are open to members, their guests and the entire community. If you are a guest, please introduce yourself to our greeters and ushers.
Shabbat Shalommm Yoga is back!
Join us on Friday, September 19 at 6pm for Shabbat Shalommm Yoga. Take time to relax, disconnect from the week, and prepare yourself for Shabbat. This practice incorporates readings and text from the Shabbat liturgy with yoga postures in a meditative way. Bring a yoga or exercise mat and a towel. Class is $5/person; open to all levels and abilities.
Coming to a neighborhood near you – October 8 – 14, 2014!
Special sukkahs are popping up all over town – Beavercreek, Centerville, Dayton, Downtown, Kettering, and Oakwood – and you are invited to join in on the fun!
Plan a weeklong sukkah hop around town or choose your favorite night to party in the hut. Decorate the sukkah, enjoy crafts, shake the lulav and etrog, and share a potluck dinner with friends and other Temple members. To RSVP for one of the events and find exact locations, click here.
Do you like to ride? (Do you like to eat?)
If so, then join us on October 12 for a fun and leisurely bike ride on the Great Miami River Trail followed by a bagel brunch at Temple Israel. Meet in the Temple parking lot at 10am.
Be sure to bring your own bicycle or you can rent one from RiverScape Rentals.
Cost is $5 per person for brunch – RSVP to Courtney by October 8.
As part of Temple Israel’s process for its rabbinic transition, the we are updating our strategic vision and mission. We will be using the Appreciative Inquiry process which helps us choose the positive as the focus of our discussions. This process begins with DISCOVERING what the best is and DREAMING what else is possible. Then we’ll DESIGN what should be and DELIVER what will be.
Our first session will be held on Sunday, September 28th from 1:00-2:00 p.m. We invite members of the congregation interested in participating to join us at that time.
September Temple Tablet
September’s Temple Tablet is here:
The New Year Begins this Month
2014/5775 High Holiday Schedule
Sukkahs in the City
Donald Bush Celebrates Twenty Years
Cuba Mission Trip
and more news about events and programs
Cuba Mission Trip with Rabbi Karen Bodney-Halasz
Join us April 21 – 29, 2015 on this insightful trip of cultural discovery and humanitarian effort in La Habana, Cienfuegos, and Trinidad de Cuba! You will make a difference in the lives of our brothers and sisters and have experiences offered to few travelers to this tropical island nation. Cuba is changing rapidly; now is the time to discover its vibrant culture and people!
For more information, contact Ellen Finke-McCarthy at 937.496.0050 or email@example.com. Registration deadline is October 14, 2014.
Improve Our World
Temple members volunteer with many organizations in the Miami Valley, donating food, clothing, books, and time to help others and improve our community.
Our rabbis teach Torah and Talmud weekly. Temple’s Ryterband lectures host 18 local leaders and scholars each year. We also sponsor Hebrew classes for beginners to more advanced students. Nearly all of Temple’s adult education programs are open to non-members and members alike.
- September 22, 2014
- Advanced HebrewTime: 12:00 pm - 1:00 pmLocation: Library
- Knitting and CrochetingTime: 1:15 pm - 2:45 pmDescription: Want to learn to knit or crochet? Give afghans or
- September 24, 2014
- Erev Rosh HashanahTime: 8:00 pm - 10:00 pm
- September 25, 2014
- Rosh HashanahAll day
- Rosh Hashanah Family ServicesTime: 9:15 am - 10:15 amLocation: Sanctuary
- Rosh Hashanah Congregational ServiceTime: 10:30 am - 1:00 pm
- September 26, 2014
- Rosh HasanahAll day
- Rosh Hashanah Second DayTime: 10:30 am - 11:30 am
- Shabbat ServicesTime: 7:30 pm - 8:45 pmLocation: Temple Israel Sanctuary
- September 27, 2014
- Torah StudyTime: 9:30 am - 10:30 amLocation: Temple Israel LibraryDescription: Study the weekly Torah portion with Rabbi Sofian or Bodney-Halasz
- Shabbat ServicesTime: 10:30 am - 12:00 pmLocation: Temple Israel ChapelDescription: Shabbat Service in the chapel let by Rabbi Sofian or
- September 28, 2014
- Religious SchoolTime: 8:45 am - 1:00 pmLocation: Chapel, Childcare Room, Foyer, Kitchen, LRC, Library, Religious School Wing, Sanctuary